Sunday, August 14, 2011

[Happy Independence Day!] This is the Pakistan I know.

Despite the 3 Ps, (corrupt) politics, (frustratingly deep-seated) patriarchy and (dismal) poverty, I am forever enamored by Pakistani art: food, music and clothes. Happy Birthday to *my* birthplace and the region of the world that forms one-half of my cultural identity!
Below, the Pakistan that I know.
(yours truly)
Born in a hospital in Nazimabad, Karachi, in 1992, it has been mentioned by my mother I began accessorizing since day 1.

(me, my sister, my Dad)
There it was, too, where I developed a head full of curls, and my sister, a hairless scalp.

(me, my sister)
Sitting pretty; attending an authentic Pakistani wedding (@ age 8.5).

(my sister, other sister, brother, et moi)
Sitting pretty; attending an authentic Pakistani wedding (@ age 8.5)...with more siblings in tow (and now there exists one more Generation Y sibling, aged 6 months m'A!)

(mama dearest, my sister, brother, dad, aunt. top: me, my sis. bottom: cousin)
A true Pakistani venture, shawarmas and lassi (*mouthwatering!!!!!*) at Clifton Beach, Karachi, with all types of family members in tow. Even your uncle's brother-in-law's cousin's son's old college friend.

(sister, me, sister)
Devouring our childhood: days spent being as innocuous as possible: accepting candy from the chauki-dars (security officers), befriending the massis (housekeepers), and riding oont (camels) at the beach.

And celebrating 9th birthday parties on chuths (rooftops). 

The following quotes are by Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan (1876-1948). 

“There are two powers in the world; one is the sword and the other is the pen. There is great competition and rivalry between the two. There is a third power stronger than both, that of the women.”


“Come forward as servants of Islam, organize the people economically, socially, educationally and politically and I am sure that you will be a power that will be accepted by everybody.”


“No nation can rise to the height of glory unless your women are side by side with you.”


“Our objective should be peace within, and peace without. We want to live peacefully and maintain cordial friendly relations with our immediate neighbours and with the world at large.”


“We are victims of evil customs. It is a crime against humanity that our women are shut up within the four walls of the houses as prisoners. There is no sanction anywhere for the deplorable condition in which our women have to live.”


“We should have a State in which we could live and breathe as free men and which we could develop according to our own lights and culture and where principles of Islamic social justice could find free play."

.چوم ,چوم

 (kiss, kiss). (bisou, bisou).

4 comments:

Sundus T said...

Urooba! You were born in North Nazimabad? No way! My nana lives there, and we stay there most of the time when we visit Pakistan. So. Awesome.

P.S.- Been to clifton a few times as well too ;)

Anonymous said...

Salam, my darling sister Urooba!
Your family is very beautiful (your mom´s face is so familiar)My boyfriend said I look like her.
I also love Pakistan, the colours, the people, the food...
Do you know Hina Rabbani, the first female Minister of Foreign Affairs? I posted about her. Well, I cannot judge her, but she is a woman and I will support her. And you?

PS: I loved your pictures from childhood, made me remember mine, too.
Khuda Hafiz!

N-S said...

drop by :)

Anonymous said...

I'm Pakistani, but having born and brought up in the UK, and javing visited Pakistan only the once (for a family wedding of course!) I have no memories of the place, unlike yourself, which is something my parents regret.

It's good to see someone remember their roots!

Blogger A of the Hijabi on Campus Team!
http://hijabioncampus.wordpress.com/